The Pros and Cons of Laminate Kitchen Countertops - Common Questions Answered
In comparison to granite and other stone countertops, laminate countertops are by far the most budget friendly. If you're looking to learn more about laminate countertops, you've come to the right place!
What Are Laminate Countertops?
Laminate countertops are created by layering plastic and bonding it to particleboard or Kraft paper. Together they make a solid countertop surface! Laminate countertops come in a plethora of colors, designs, styles, and patterns!
Are Laminate Countertops Heat Resistant? Stain Resistant?
Though Laminate countertops are not as durable as stone counters, they are still mildly resistant to most damage. When it comes to heat, laminate countertops are only mildly resistant in comparison to stone. Remember, laminate is plastic and can melt! It is easy to clean and stains can be avoided if addressed promptly. laminate counters are prone to scratches, chips, and cuts. To avoid damage to your laminate counters, always use a cutting board and place heat resistant cloths down before putting anything hot on your counters. If you have a textured laminate, you can hide damages much easier!
- Budget friendly: Laminate countertops are an easy choice if budget is your biggest concern. They are the least expensive option for countertops, and easily available to you. It is perfect for kitchen remodels on a tight budget, and for people who tend to change their decor often.
- Master of Disguise: Laminate countertops easily imitate their more expensive competitors! It can be made to look like granite, marble, and so on. Laminate is easily manufactured, and therefore easily designed. Check out the pictures in this blog to see the different styles that laminate can be created in!
- Easy to Install: Because laminate is lightweight, it is very easy to install without professional help. This makes it even more cost-efficient! However, keep in mind that laminate may have to be replaced more often that other more durable materials. If you do need help installing any countertops, click here to get free pricing from licensed and insured professionals here! You can compare prices and profiles to determine who is best for your home project for free and without pressure.
- Easy to Damage: Laminate counters scratch and cut easily, so don't use a knife directly on them. It is best to avoid placing hot items directly onto laminate counters to avoid melting or heat damage. Check out the heat/stain resistant passage above.
- Not good for Resale: Though they can look expensive, laminate countertops are not good for resale and are not a good return on investment. If you're looking to sell your house and get a good return on investment, these counters are not for you. However, if you need to add a kitchen for a sale, these counters are definitely better than nothing!
Laminate counters are great for those looking to remodel a kitchen on a tight budget! They can be made to look expensive and are super easy to install! However, they do damage easy and they aren't the best for resale. The best thing to do is determine what your goals are, and consider if laminate counters are best for your home!
How Great Pros Can Help
Need help installing laminate counters? click here to get free pricing from licensed and insured professionals here! You can compare prices and profiles to determine who is best for your home project for free and without pressure.
Got another project you need help with? Let Great Pros help you find a licensed and insured contractor in your area! Give us the specific details on your project, and we’ll connect you to the best contractor for your needs. There is never pressure to buy when you use our free service.